When your child needs to work closely with a therapist for mental health needs, consider the benefits of using telehealth. During the current pandemic, the use of telehealth apps has grown, and it may prove to be the ideal way for your child to get the support he or she needs. However, for telehealth treatment for children to work, it’s important to create the right atmosphere and to ensure your child opens up. At Atlanta Center for Mental Health in Georgia, we offer a few simple tips and strategies to make it work.
Why Is Telehealth Treatment for Children a Good Choice?
There’s never been a more important time for people to seek out the mental health treatment they need, even though coming together with people you do not live with is not ideal. A pandemic like this can create fear, depression, and acute anxiety. When it comes to seeking adolescent treatment for your son or daughter, you can use telehealth and avoid having to leave your home to get this type of care. It’s readily accessible to anyone with a smartphone or a laptop. Telehealth allows you to obtain treatment from a mental health treatment center, no matter where you are in Georgia. It can be very effective for children if you create the right environment.
What to Do to Ensure Adolescent Treatment Like This Works?
Be proactive when it comes to establishing telehealth treatment for children and teens. That is, start working with them on what to expect early. Here are some tips to help:
- Make sure they understand how the telehealth app works. Explain that they will be meeting with their therapist over the phone. For small children, it’s important to ensure they realize this is a serious conversation.
- Video conferencing or videoing, calling a family member to learn how to use the phone is important. Practice things like keeping their face in the camera and the proper distance to ensure sound quality.
- Choose an area for the telehealth appointment that is distraction-free. It should be a place where they are going to have ample privacy, as well.
- Give them an appropriate amount of privacy. In some situations, that may mean stepping out of the room for a few minutes so the child can talk freely with their therapist.
- Encourage teens to write down what they learned or, with small children, make sure to talk about any steps they are supposed to take before their next appointment.
Telehealth treatment for children like this can work well, especially when they understand the importance behind it. Make sure your child understands how serious it is and the benefits this type of appointment can offer to them.
Ensure You Get the Telehealth You Need in Georgia
Adolescent treatment for mental health is growing in importance. Now that services like this are available, embrace them. Take full advantage of the ease that telehealth can offer because it allows your child to stay at home, where it is safe, to get the support they need. It may not always be available or the best fit for the child, and that’s okay.
Take a few minutes to learn about our mental health therapies to see how they can fit your child’s needs:
- Individual therapy programs
- Dialectical behavior therapy programs
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy programs
- Group therapy programs
- Dual diagnosis treatment programs
Seek the Care You Need at Atlanta Center for Mental Health
Telehealth treatment for children can sometimes seem challenging. Yet, with a bit of support and guidance, it is possible to make telehealth the ideal choice for adolescent treatment for a variety of mental health needs. At Atlanta Center for Mental Health in Georgia, we offer this as an opportunity for you. To learn more, call 833.625.0458 to schedule an appointment or reach out to us online today.
Atlanta Center for Mental Health is a free-standing, non-hospital-setting, residential facility that treats co-occurring mental health disorders along with primary mental health diagnoses. Our goal is to transform your life and put you on the path to wellness and recovery.